Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week 3: Producing a Public Service Announcement

Our group began forming when Melba Morales posted on the discussion board for parties interested in establishing a group with her. I replied, then soon after Salvador and Lawrence joined. The next event that happened in our group was Salvador establishing the wiki for collaborating on our project. This was a huge step for our beginning! There we were able to brainstorm ideas and volunteer for parts in the production of our PSA. Also, Salvador jumped right in and shot the video. This caused much concern for me as the video was one long take. I posted on the wiki that after completing the week's readings that I was concerned about not having the suggested different types of camera shots. In reference to "Guidelines for Shooting Quality Videos" (part 5) it is suggested to use many short clips of five to ten seconds in duration to be more effective and bring variety to the audience. I suggested that parts of Sal's video could be clipped so that it is in segments. I also suggested that we shoot some more takes such as close up view of just hands on chest using live models demonstrating the pumping action - about 3 to 6 seconds worth. Then another close up of the AED, about 3 seconds worth.

My thought was to also change our focus from CPR training, which would really require longer footage, to the promotion of faculty and staff attending CPR training. I know at my school not too many are trained and each year our nurse offers the session without much attendance. A script suddenly came to me in the shower that morning getting ready for work. I have my best ideas in the shower! I always keep a pen and paper in my dressing area so that when I come out of the shower I can quickly write down my ideas. I posted the script on the wiki and notified my team members by email to take a look and give feedback.
I spent some time looking at other PSAs on CPR and the better ones did not have a lot of script. "Less is more" is what I am always telling my desktop publishing students. I found a good example of a video that uses lots of short takes and different angles and posted it on the wiki on the Video Collection link that Sal had made.

I got an overwhelming response from the team and we were off and running. Salvador, Lawrence and I met that Saturday on Skype. We came up with the outline and the shot list. We discussed photos that we could shoot to add to the video and also narration as well as text slides. It was a very productive meeting with everyone knowing exactly what to do to accomplish our goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment